A Chain of Title Report is a valuable tool to identify and document past owners of a property. Serving as a property’s historical ownership timeline it is based on local land records. Multiple searches must be conducted using the grantee and grantor indexes, reviewing documents that transfer title, determine title rights or interest conveyed from an owner to another party. Also, any separate indices must be reviewed.
The Chain of Title Report provides national coverage drawing from a network of abstractors in every local jurisdiction.
- Provides details of transactions on the subject property back to at least 1940
- Provides details of interest conveyed, (i.e. easements or mineral rights), affecting current title
- Lists the owner of record
- Includes a legal description of the subject property
- Includes a copy of the most recent deed or legal document transferring title (when available)
- Identifies the specific local office or agency that is responsible for the recording of land title documents